Rising country artist and Texas native, Jenna Paulette recently announced plans to release her debut album, The Girl I Was.
Available on March 31, 2023, the album creatively depicts Paulette’s soul-searching journey in the aftermath of a 10-year relationship. Through this creative journey, the songstress hoped to come back to who she felt was her most authentic self.
The 16-track debut record was produced by Will Bundy and carries some impressive writer credits including Rhett Akins, Jessie Jo Dillon, and Ashley McBryde. Fans can pre-order the project HERE.
Paulette’s concept for The Girl I Was came to her while attending a writer’s retreat. During this time, she was driving alone with her blue heeler as her passenger, enjoying the sunset in the distance. Whilst reflecting, she was reminded of her 8-year-old self and how simply she lived life then. How she was just a freckle-faced child helping her grandfather on the ranch – dirty, full of purpose, well-loved, and she was completely content with that. Paulette hoped that soon she could return to that mindset and childlike sense of wonder and simplicity. Back to… the girl she was.
When it came time to write, it became clear that this concept was much broader than just a song.
Paulette reflected, “I thought, if we don’t write another song this weekend everything will be right if we get that song right and we did…and that song made sense of a whole record for me. For the first time I felt like I was writing things that were honest enough to represent where I came from and where I am headed. I cannot wait for y’all to hear this record.”
In writing the album, Paulette went through a personal transformation when getting to the root source of where she felt she lost herself in the first place.
The first single track off of the album, “You Ain’t No Cowboy,” is out now. The song depicts falling for the trademarks of a “cowboy,” only to find out that he wasn’t deserving of such a title.
The Girl I Was Track Listing:
1. Home on The Range – Intro
2. Fiddle and a Violin (Ashley McBryde, Ryan Tyndell, Jeremy Spillman)
3. Anywhere the Wind Blows (Jenna Paulette, Rhett Akins, Will Bundy)
4. Slow Drawl (Jenna Paulette, Will Bundy, Jeb Gipson)
5. One Two-Step Away (Jenna Paulette, Rhett Akins, Brice Long)
6. You Ain’t No Cowboy (Jenna Paulette, Rhett Akins, Will Bundy)
7. Country in the Girl (Jenna Paulette, Smith Ahnquist, Jeb Gipson)
8. Bless Her Heart (Jenna Paulette, Heather Morgan, Will Bundy, Jeb Gipson)
9. Pretty Ugly (Jenna Paulette, Parker Welling, Will Bundy, Jeb Gipson)
10. Sun Keeps Comin’ Back Up (Jenna Paulette, Jordan Reynolds, Jordan Minton, Mark Trussell)
11. Truck Boy (Jenna Paulette, Jessie Jo Dillon, Will Bundy, Jeb Gipson)
12. We Know How to Friday Night (Jenna Paulette, Casey Beathard, Bobby Pinson)
13. The Girl I Was (Jenna Paulette, Jessie Jo Dillon, Will Bundy, Jeb Gipson)
14. Make the World a Small Town (Jenna Paulette, Dustin Christensen)
15. Stop and Smell the Horses (Jenna Paulette, Jamie Davis)
16. Home on the Range – Outro