Josh Turner is paying tribute to some of his musical influences on his new album, Country State of Mind.
Out August 21, the 12-track project finds Turner covering a number of country music icons, including Randy Travis, John Anderson, Johnny Cash, Vern Gosdin and Hank Williams.
“I’ve always said that any song you hear coming from my voice, you’re going to hear bits and pieces of those five guys,” Turner shared in a statement. “They taught me how to be Josh Turner.”
The record includes a few special guests, including Randy Travis on a new rendition of the iconic hit, “Forever and Ever, Amen.” This marks Travis’ first recording session since his 2013 stroke.
“Randy has always been my hero. He was the reason I wanted to become a country singer,” Turner explained. “He’s an inspiring figure, not just to me but to a lot of people, so to have him sing on this record is pretty special.”
Country State of Mind also includes appearances by John Anderson, Kris Kristofferson, Chris Janson, Runaway June and Maddie & Tae.
Country State of Mind Track Listing:
1. I’m No Stranger To The Rain
2. I’ve Got It Made (Duet with John Anderson)
3. Why Me (Duet with Kris Kristofferson)
4. Country State Of Mind (Duet with Chris Janson)
5. I Can Tell By The Way You Dance
6. Alone And Forsaken (Featuring Allison Moorer)
7. Forever And Ever, Amen (With Special Guest Randy Travis)
8. Midnight In Montgomery
9. Good Ol’ Boys
10. You Don’t Seem To Miss Me (Featuring Runaway June)
11. Desperately (Featuring Maddie & Tae)
12. The Caretaker