Country crooner Joe Nichols has been friends with fellow country star Blake Shelton for more than 20 years, and now, the longtime friends are joining forces on Nichols’ new album.
During an interview with Spout Podcast, Nichols reflected on his friendship with Shelton and praised him for never changing, despite his superstar status.
“You know, that guy is the same guy that I first met 23 years ago,” Nichols shared. “He’s the same, exact guy he has always been; loud and the kind of humor that only he can have. I think he’s truly a unique person. He’s a one-of-a-kind of person.”
Shelton brings his unique talents to the song “I Got Friends That Do,” which appears on Nichols’ new album, Good Day for Living.
“Having him on this record is so cool, and he didn’t have to do this,” Nichols told Spout Podcast. “He’s a big star, he’s on ‘The Voice,’–he’s probably doing a hundred different things with a hundred different people, and doesn’t really have a lot of time to just do nothing…he went in studio on his own time and put his part on and I thought, ‘man, that sounded like a hit before, but now it really does sound like a smash.’”
Good Day for Living is Nichols’ tenth studio album, but his first with new record label Quartz Hill Records. The new team helped give Nichols a fresh approach to his music. “For the first time in a long time, I don’t feel any pressure,” Nichols said in a press release. “I’m around great people. I’m the type of person who’s always striving for more, but I’ve reached a place where I’m grateful for everything I’ve accomplished so far. It’s been such a good run. I feel at peace, and that has freed me up to make new music that’s very honest.”
Good Day For Living Track List
1. “Brokenhearted” (Rhett Akins, Marv Green, John Thomas Harding)
2. “I Got Friends That Do” (feat. Blake Shelton) (Danick Dupelle, Tebey Ottoh, Jimmy Thow)
3. “Home Run” (Ashley Gorley, Dallas Davidson, Ross Copperman)
4. “Dance With the Girl” (Jason Gantt, John Pierce, Emily Shackelton)
5. “I Wanna Be Your Tonight” (Philip O’Donnell, Wade Kirby, Marv Green)
6. “Good Day For Living” (Dave Cohen, Bobby Hambrick, Neil Mason)
7. “Screened In” (Neil Thrasher, Anthony Jerome Martin)
8. “That’s How I Grew Up” (Steven McMorran, Josh London, Adam Craig)
9. “Reckon” (Derek George, Randy Montana, Jeremy Stover)
10. “Why Can’t She” (Adam Craig, Jon Nite, Matt Rogers)
11. “One Two Step Closer” (Justin Lantz, Clint Daniels, Lance Miller)
12. “Hawaii on Me” (Chris Janson, Will Nance, Kelly Roland)
13. “She Was” (Neal Lee Coty, Jimmy Edward Melton)
Nichols told Spout Podcast, “The album is good, top to bottom and it got a lot of 90s throwbacks kind of songs in there, some country dance song… there’s a lot of positivity in this record, you know, ‘Good Day For Living’ is a good example. ‘Home Run’ was a good example of positivity. You know, I think the world needs to kind of lift his chin a little bit and look a little brighter and smile a little bit.”
Fans can expect to feel those good vibes in his shows on Joe Nichols’ Good Day for Living 2022 Tour, which runs through September 24 in Greeneville, TN.